Today is World Tourism Day; the day is celebrated universally all over the world by initiating infrastructural programs and declaring improvement arranges. Tourism brings forth to us the diversity of culture across geographies. Clearly, the day deserves a grand celebration the world over.
India is a booming travel and tourism market in Asia. Expected to be worth Rs. 95 billion by 2015, tourism is a vehicle of economic and employment growth in the country. So, if you are looking for a much-needed break from the hustle-bustle atmosphere, plan for a weekend getaway. India has historical, adventure, and natural beauty in abundance; flora and fauna yet to be explored. Take time, escape from your busy computerized life.
“Twenty years down the lane you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than the things you did. So, reroute from the anchor. Cruise far from the sheltered harbor. Collect moments not things!”
We take you to place. Today let’s take you to Pondicherry. I know, I know…many of you might be thinking what’s new in Pondi. But guys, Pondicherry is not meant for just youngsters. This place has many things which can also persuade older crowds. Let’s start from the basics.
Pondicherry, also known as Puducherry or Pondy also referred to as “mini Goa.” A small territorial area popularly known for its sun-kissed beaches, and French colonial past, presently known as ‘The White Town’. The history of the city of Pondicherry is recorded only after the arrival of Dutch, Portuguese, British and French colonialists. Pondicherry experiences coastal erosion. The city is protected from the sea by a 2 km long seawall, first completed by the French in 1735, which reaches a height of 8.5 m above sea level. A weather-beaten cement plaque with the year 1952 is still visible along a section of the seawall. The seawall is protected from the direct onslaught of waves by rows of granite boulders which are reinforced every year to stop erosion. Whenever gaps appear or the stones sink into the sand, the Government adds more boulders to keep it strong.
How to reach Pondi?
The small union territory, Pondicherry is located about 162 km south of Chennai (Madras). The main languages spoken in the region include Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam. Apart from this, English and French are the other languages spoken by local people.
Though Pondi is a small town and can be finished in a day or two. There is much to see in this town as a newbie or as a regular tourist.
Places to see in Pondicherry
- Auroville: Auroville is a universal town where men, women and children of all countries are welcome to live in peace and harmony above all ideologies, all politics and all nationalities. The motivation behind Auroville is to acknowledge human solidarity.
- Pondicherry Botanical garden: The Botanical Garden in Pondicherry was opened to the general population in 1826, it is situated at the southern passageway of city transport stand. The Botanical Gardens arranged in the focal point of the city relieves from the tyranny of scorching and humidity of Pondicherry. It covers 22 acres area and where people can just sit, unwind and listen to the chirping of birds and delve into the wealthy variety of flora here.
- Chunambar boat house: Chunnambar is located 8 kms from Puducherry, along the Cuddalore Main Road. This tropical heaven is flanked by a peaceful streaming rivulet on one side. You can cruise downstream to the sands and set up a comfortable shoreline portable shelter for yourself.
- Ousteri lake: Ousteri Lak, also referred to as Osudu Lake around 10 kms from Puducherry town and has been perceived as one of the important wetlands of Asia by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) and it is the most vital freshwater lake in the Pondicherry area. The structure of the lake is mind boggling – comprising of water, wetland/swamp and mudflats; it goes about as the single biggest catchment of fresh water in Puducherry.
- French Wall Memorial: Located on the Goubert Avenue in Pondicherry, the French War Memorial is devoted to those fighters who yielded their lives for the nation amid World War I. It was implicit 1971 and is situated inverse to the Gandhi statue.
- Arulmigu Manakula Vinayagar Temple: This is one of a handful couple of amazing temples in Pondicherry. Excellent engineering, extraordinary divider compositions. It’s an unquestionable requirement visit for all who venerate Lord Ganesh. The depictions portray the narrative of the root of Lord Ganesh with exceedingly critical occasions. The sanctuary likewise has its own particular elephant.
- Eglise de Notre Dame des Anges: Another French era church less known after The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This is one of the oldest churches in the city, built in French time. Not open all the time like others in the city. This is situated near rock beach.
Beaches to see in Pondi
- Auro Beach -around 1 km from Serenity Beach
- Keerapalayam -around 3 km south of Rock beach
- Promenade / Rock beach -It’s within the boulevard
- Paradise Beach – around 4 km south of Veerambatinam
- Serenity beach -around 3 km north of the town
- Veerambatinam – around 3 km south of Keerapalayam
Things to do in Pondi
Pondicherry Adventures: Pondicherry is turning more and more interesting turning tourists’ heads for exciting and adventurous getaways. Experience and explore the thrills of
- 8×8 ATV through the sandy and muddy terrains of Pondicherry Beach
- Kallialay surfing school
Don’t miss to try out these cafes here- Le Cafe, Cafe Carte Blanche, Rendezvous cafe, Baker Street, Indian Cafe Express.
After Goa, Pondi is also known for its tax free cheap alcohols. So, if you like to booze or enjoy the company of a bottle of chilled beer, you will love these places-
- Promanade roof top bar
- Ajantha sea vie bar
- Sea Gulls
Pondi sweeps you to the French era and takes you to the erstwhile legacy of the gothic era and offers you to spend a refreshing holiday in the ideal resorts, mansions, cottages, huts, hostels, etc., where you can engross into a soothing Ayurvedic massage in the midst of the serene aura. Book a bus to explore these places this weekend.
We will keep the excitement on with more information about the ins and outs of many such places in India. Ticketgoose is also introducing an excellent weekend getaway package and drive you to different places, cultures, era, and realm. Keep track with us.